Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council exemplar Passive Standard refurbishment of Rochestown House complex in Sallynoggin pictured
Minister Simon Coveney confirmed average building costs for conventional Local Authority directly procured social housing for a various dwelling types in the following Dáil exchange on 29th November 2016. The cost for 3 bed homes ranged from €154,560 (outside Dublin) to €205,250, an average cost of €180,000 (incl VAT).
A Local Authority 3 bed home is almost half the price of the Society of the Surveyors of Chartered Surveyors Ireland (SCSI) cost estimate of a typical developer-led house of €330,493 (incl VAT) built in the private sector (see SCSI house cost here).
The figures quoted by Minister Coveney are also significantly lower than the projected cost of ‘rapid’ units in his Rebuilding Ireland housing proposal currently estimated at €243,000 (incl VAT) each. ‘Rapid’ builds take the same length of time as conventional homes to complete and the rationale behind the State opting for a slower and significantly more expensive housing type are unclear.
Link to Dáil exchange here.
“Clare Daly (Dublin Fingal, United Left)
267. To ask the Minister for Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government if he will provide data (details supplied) on the projected cost of construction of social housing, excluding in all cases the cost of land procurement. [37043/16]
Simon Coveney (Cork South Central, Fine Gael)
In relation to information sought for averages of various social housing costs, the following are the relevant figures based on current unit cost ceiling data prepared from tender returns utilised within my Department.
- average cost per square meter of social housing construction in Dublin = €2,046;
- average cost per square meter of social housing construction outside of Dublin= €1,524.
The average cost of construction of various housing units including all works within the site curtilage and a contribution towards development of common areas of the overall development (footpaths, roads, lighting etc), are as follows:
- 2-bed social housing unit in Dublin = €191,850;
- 2-bed social housing unit outside of Dublin= €141,445;
- 3-bed social housing unit in Dublin= €205,250;
- 3-bed social housing unit outside of Dublin = €154,560″
Other posts of interest: